Opportunities and Growth – Medical Technologies in the Leeds City Region
Leeds City Region and partners have formed a consortium to explore the strengths in Medical Technologies in the region.
Their vision of making the UK the world-leader for developing medical devices and diagnostics will lead to reduced healthcare costs, improved patient outcomes, and significant economic growth.
- Major assets include Medical Technologies Innovation and Knowledge Centre at University of Leeds, Medipex Healthcare Innovation Hub, and Medilink connecting the NHS with industry and academia.
- Leeds City Region has over 250 business specialising in medical technologies, 200 digital and techology businesses.
- Significant NHS assets, the home to NHS England and NHS Digital, longitudinal patient cohorts (such as Born in Bradford), the Leeds Care Record.
- 8% of all EPSRC MedTech funding comes to the region (over £100m) , with nearly 9% of patents filed from inventors in the region.
Gap Analysis and Barriers to Growth
Skills shortages and changing skills needs; particularly in medtech, digital, and regulatory.
- A need for regional investment to support infrastructure, innovation, and collaboration.
- Improved access is needed to the NHS as well as a simplified regulatory structure.
The Audit highlighted a number of key propositions that will help to address the needs of the region:
- Development of a national “test bed” clinical evaluation hub.
- Supporting a medtech skills academy.
- An integrated medtech innovation hub to support connect and continuous innovation.
- Sustainable infrastructure investment to support research and development.
- Strategic leadership through a Medtech Sector Council.
For more information, see https://leedscityregionmed.tech/