Liverpool City Region+ A Science and Innovation Audit
The Liverpool City Region+ consortium have published their Science and Innovation Audit focussing on Materials Chemistry, Infection and High Performance and Cognitive Computing.
Their ambition would see the Liverpool City Region become world-leading in tackling infectious disease, providing a hub for commercialising new material chemistries, and building on computing strengths to create a vibrant and disruptive digital technologies cluster.
- Twice the national average in numbers of businesses for manufacture of pharmaceuticals and chemicals, coupled with research excellence in Chemistry, Engineering, Clinical Medicine and Infectious Diseases
- High-performance computing at the STFC-run Hartree Centre and the only UK deployment of IBM’s Watson cognitive computing platform
- An open innovation ecosystem built on co-funded and co-located research within the Knowledge Quarter and Sci-Tech Daresbury.
Gap Analysis and Barriers to Growth
- Infection needs a targeted inward investment strategy, continued investment in research assets, in addition to ensure that supporting activities e.g. finance, business support are in place..
- Knowledge transfer around the regional innovation eco-system is key to the continued development in Materials Chemistry.
- High Performance and Cognitive Computing needs to broaden activities to include industry and service sector user bases, as well as building HP&CC activities into the core business in the region.
- Centre of Excellence for Infectious Diseases Research+ (CEIDR+) will build a portfolio of projects with collaborating companies leading to a new brspoke facility for co-location of research and industry users.
- MIF Nexus will support major companies through access to shared robotic testing, scaleup and proof-of-concept services in Materials Chemistry.
- “Deep Change” will embed High Performance and Cognitive Computing technologies and methods across all parts of the LCR+ regional economy.
For more information, see https://www.liverpoollep.org/growth-sectors/innovation/lcrsia/